Transparency for KIDS on moderation practices
Okay, this is kinda rad. I’ve been re-examining moderation practices from a user to user perspective lately. Sometime recently Club Penguin added a new REPORT A PLAYER UI page in their reporting flow.
It used to go: Are you sure you would like to report? > Why are you reporting? > More specific details on why you’re reporting? > Thank you for reporting, perhaps ignore them in the meantime?
Naturally, it wasn’t in those particular words, but its the general concept. They have now added this page to start the process:
That’s pretty rad – simple, informative.
Kids report like crazy – bored, angry, nervous, confused, random, tattling, rebel-rousing, testing, frustrated, etc. There is a great number of useless reports that come through. Giving kids a bit of context (also, alluding to the fact that the entire chat log will be reviewed, which includes ALL participants, including that chat: ACCOUNTABILITY) helps redirect their activity and lower moderation “boy who cried wolf” scenarios.
I like it :)
p.s. PLEASE remember, when making a virtual world for youth- have users click on other users to report. In a chaotic situation – it’s much easier to tag an offender as he’s snatching your purse, then ten minutes down the line with some sort of police line up list. Less responsibility on the memory, more accurate identification.
- The Izzy Neis Daily is out! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Stories via @Kimzolciak 22 hours ago
- RT @mattsingley: This is devastating. My heart breaks for the people suffering from this earthquake. #NepalQuake twitter.com/nytimes/status… 1 day ago
- RT @annecollier: Wise words on #bullying from the 11-year-old star of #LittleBoyMovie released today: netfamilynews.org/wise-words-on-… 1 day ago
- @JayBiros SAME! Thats what I eat all the time. I’ve taken to “unpeeling” it (crispy layer first) & breaking into 2 chocolate sides, lol 1 day ago
- The Izzy Neis Daily is out! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… 1 day ago