Transparency for KIDS on moderation practices
Okay, this is kinda rad. I’ve been re-examining moderation practices from a user to user perspective lately. Sometime recently Club Penguin added a new REPORT A PLAYER UI page in their reporting flow.
It used to go: Are you sure you would like to report? > Why are you reporting? > More specific details on why you’re reporting? > Thank you for reporting, perhaps ignore them in the meantime?
Naturally, it wasn’t in those particular words, but its the general concept. They have now added this page to start the process:
That’s pretty rad – simple, informative.
Kids report like crazy – bored, angry, nervous, confused, random, tattling, rebel-rousing, testing, frustrated, etc. There is a great number of useless reports that come through. Giving kids a bit of context (also, alluding to the fact that the entire chat log will be reviewed, which includes ALL participants, including that chat: ACCOUNTABILITY) helps redirect their activity and lower moderation “boy who cried wolf” scenarios.
I like it 🙂
p.s. PLEASE remember, when making a virtual world for youth- have users click on other users to report. In a chaotic situation – it’s much easier to tag an offender as he’s snatching your purse, then ten minutes down the line with some sort of police line up list. Less responsibility on the memory, more accurate identification.
- RT @haarleyquin: OK BUT THE GOOGLE DOODLE FOR THE NASA DISCOVERY IS THE CUTEST THING EVER https://t.co/SEN9XGB9mI 17 hours ago
- The Reality of Supporting Virtual Communities via @modsquad. modsquad.com/blog/reality-s… 18 hours ago
- RT @modsquad: Why is Facebook carrying on with sound autoplay despite all the hate? For these 7 reasons: fal.cn/QwYA [TK] 20 hours ago
- RT @smrtgrls: 11-year-old Jordan Reeves invented a prosthetic arm that shoots glitter!✨ → bit.ly/2la5nfe (photo:@CelineGrouard) #W… 20 hours ago
- @Rockjaw My issue is taking an IP that was marketed to 9+, making a show for teens, and having that show celebrate dangerous behaviors. :( 23 hours ago