What the Young Want
This was the year my son’s Christmas list really plugged in.
His requests to Santa included a Nintendo DS, several games, plus all the electronic trimmings. He’s already got an iPod, and now wants accessories, starting with dog-shaped speakers that move to the music. About the only thing he hasn’t asked for yet is a cell phone, but he’s eager to use Mom’s or Dad’s whenever he gets the chance.
Oh, and one more thing: He’s 7.
If you have children, chances are you’re facing this same situation in one form or another. And for a generation that was forced to wait until 16 to get a land line in the bedroom, it can be tough to navigate the appropriate age for cell-phone ownership – especially when kids are asking for technological gadgets at younger and younger ages.
But how young is too young? It’s a question parents struggle with even as educators and child experts scramble to keep up. The only thing they are sure to recommend is careful buying.
Here’s a great run down (snagged from ypulse’s essentials) of a parent’s view on kids, tech, and xmas (or whatever gifty holiday you participate in this winter season).
Props for the Anastasia mention in it too!!
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @KerryHerdt @thinkwithwitt @EducatingParent #cybersecurity #privacy 11 hours ago
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @JamesyCantona @NellMerlino @grovergirl72 #edtech #brands 1 day ago
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @PeterWilt1 @BrianLynch @rebbford #privacy #cpchat 2 days ago
- First experience w @AlaskaAir & @VirginAmerica merger? Fab! Thanks, mega-awesome #SocMed team. So far, so pheeeew! #CreatureofHabit #Loyal 3 days ago
- Check out our quick wrap on #SXSW! via @modsquad: modsquad.com/blog/thats-a-w… #SXSWInteractive #Austin #Texas #StillHaveMeatSweats #Kidding #Ish 3 days ago