Poignant yet slightly hilarious?
Fights among guests are an issue for all restaurants, but security experts say they pose a particular problem for Chuck E. Cheese’s, since it is designed to be a haven for children. Law-enforcement officials say alcohol, loud noise, thick crowds and the high emotions of children’s birthday parties make the restaurants more prone to disputes than other family entertainment venues.
The environment also brings out what security experts call the “mama-bear instinct.” A Chuck E. Cheese’s can take on some of the dynamics of the animal kingdom, where beasts rush to protect their young when they sense a threat.
Stepping in when a parent perceives that a child is being threatened “is part of protective parenting,” says Frank Farley, a psychologist at Temple University and former president of the American Psychological Association. “It is part of the species — all species, in fact — in the animal kingdom,” he says. “We do it all of the time.”
Now some towns are asking CEC to step into the ring. Amid pressure from local politicians, some Chuck E. Cheese’s have stopped serving alcohol and added security guards who carry pistols.
PISTOLS AT CHUCK E. CHEESE? (I shouldn’t laugh, I know it’s a bad sign of our culture, but it’s just so… so absurd to think about)
I’ve told ya before – don’t mess with the Momma bears. <points quietly at a certain Lori Drew> And if you work in virtual worlds for kids? Don’t think Momma Bears won’t be on high alert for any yellow flags they feel in their protective guts. Know your product, even the “bumpy” patches, so that you can defuse situations or FIX issues the parentals of your public audience may find frustrating.
- RT @TheCLAlliance: 'The real issue is not social media but learning.' What Schools are Really Blocking When They Block #SocialMedia https:/… 6 hours ago
- RT @modsquad: For folks in community and customer service, hearing this makes any day better: You made my day! #MakeTodayBetterIn4Words [AR… 8 hours ago
- <3 | Her “Midnight Ride”: I’m Pissed I Never Learned About 16-Year-Old American Hero Sybil Ludington via @womenysk womenyoushouldknow.net/her-midnight-r… 8 hours ago
- RT @TonyRomm: Wow, fmr FTC Commish Julie Brill joining Microsoft as corporate vice president and deputy general counsel for privacy and reg… 10 hours ago
- RT @modsquad: For anyone working in the 24/7/365 space: “The coffee is ready” #MakeTodayBetterIn4Words https://t.co/lIqesMljfX 11 hours ago