Izzy’s Rant about Obvious VW Depth
- Backgrounds should NEVER look like backgrounds/backdrops, etc. (If you know what that means, then you’re ahead of the battle)
- Locations in a virtual world should never feel cold or empty.
- CONTENT CONTEXT, PEOPLE.
- Obvious without Insult.
- However you feel when making the world ABOUT the craft – then that’s what your audience will feel at the max – if not less.
- The more difficult to accomplish the simple/obvious, the less users will engage.
- You needs GOALS for nearly everything.
- Story DOES NOT happen right away.
- The amount of time a user engages with an activity matters (both quest planned, or randomly) – think about it in creation and see how it fits in your production schedule against things that could keep entertainment lasting longer!
- Organic play patterns in an “oh, well duh” simplicity
Okay: kids/tweens? They want to slip into a virtual world and feel like they belong instantly – or at least have enough encouragement and enticement to be willing to put forth effort in the participation of a virtual world. The more accepting and non-obvious easy you can make their transition from clueless noob – to interest peaked participant – to returning user – to eager member, the easier you’ll find your audience becoming proud users, evangelists, and recruiters >> which are all typically paying members (if registration is your thing).
If you want your audience to have enough respect in your product to encourage a 3rd party source (parentals with lock down on wallet & credit card) to buy in… then you have to respect every aspect of your product.
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @KerryHerdt @thinkwithwitt @EducatingParent #cybersecurity #privacy 11 hours ago
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @JamesyCantona @NellMerlino @grovergirl72 #edtech #brands 1 day ago
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @PeterWilt1 @BrianLynch @rebbford #privacy #cpchat 2 days ago
- First experience w @AlaskaAir & @VirginAmerica merger? Fab! Thanks, mega-awesome #SocMed team. So far, so pheeeew! #CreatureofHabit #Loyal 3 days ago
- Check out our quick wrap on #SXSW! via @modsquad: modsquad.com/blog/thats-a-w… #SXSWInteractive #Austin #Texas #StillHaveMeatSweats #Kidding #Ish 3 days ago