Heads up: US Senate Acts
The US Senate passed two acts that relate to kids and their viewing and online activity:
- The Senate unanimously passed the Child Safe Viewing Act yesterday in Washington DC. The bill requires the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to further investigate new blocking technologies and review existing blocking devices and ratings aimed at helping parents monitor what their kids watch on TV and online via various media platforms. Additionally the FCC will need to look at the availability and compatibility of these technologies with various platforms and to make sure that the blocking devices/programs don’t impact the packaging and/or pricing of programmers offerings.
- This week also US Senate also approved the Protecting Children in the 21st Century Act. The measure aims to bring parents, industry and educators together to improve education for kids about the internet while also strengthening parental control. Once singed into law by the President, the act will require that schools receiving E-Rate funds offer specific education on online behavior (including social networking, chat rooms, cyber-bullying), establish a group to identify technologies to help parents protect kids from content they deem inappropriate for their families, and develop a nationwide public awareness campaign that will be conducted by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
I’m LOVING the “Protecting Children in the 21st Century Act” > bringing parents, industry biz, and educators together is A GREAT IDEA; especially the BIZ INDUSTRY folks. I’m giddy with hope.
Anyone have more info on this? 😀
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @scmills100 @glassbottommeg @orenjacob #privacy #somethingonastickday 2 hours ago
- This little girl is my kindred spirit: youtube.com/watch?v=h1E-Fl… 20 hours ago
- Mod of the Month – March 2017 via @modsquad. modsquad.com/blog/mod-of-th… 21 hours ago
- RT @annecollier: GREAT 2 c student voice & agency here--SO impt. Think a lot of educators would also want 2 c Civic Engagement here https:/… 1 day ago
- RT @thinkwithwitt: #MondayMotivation: Here’s a pile of books that can serve as inspiration -- or at least keep #kids occupied https://t.co/… 1 day ago