Tweens Thriving in the Web and What does that Mean?
For children ages 10 to 14 who use the Internet, the computer is a bigger draw than the TV set, according to a study recently released by DoubleClick Performics, a search marketing company. The study found that 83 percent of Internet users in that age bracket spent an hour or more online a day, but only 68 percent devoted that much time to television.
The study found that the children often did research online before making a purchase (or bugging their parents to make one). The big exception to this rule was apparel: like many grown-ups, the children said they preferred to choose their clothes at a store.
Performics reported that some corners of the Internet were more popular with the children than others. While 72 percent of the children online belonged to a social networking site (usually MySpace), 60 percent of them said they rarely or never read blogs.
What I’d like to know is this:
- What percentage of those kids have parents that can site the top five internet destinations that their kids frequent?
- And how many of those kids claim “friends” online that they’ve never met? And how many of those kids view content that they would NEVER tell their parents about – how often, as well?
- And how many of those kids have found educational-information empowering, social experiences empowering, and self esteem empowerment?
- And how about the opposite?
- And what abilities are kids developing to deal with these new frontier experiences that we (as adults, educators, parents, etc) have been unable to teach/understand due to our own lack-of-youth-based-experiences?
Actually – there are like a thousand questions. How about YOU chime in…
What kind of questions would you like to know regarding HIGH WEB USAGE tweens?? Please add in the comments section. These kinds of questions could totally bring up some GREAT conversation starters – and great rambles from everyone.
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @KerryHerdt @thinkwithwitt @EducatingParent #cybersecurity #privacy 17 hours ago
- First experience w @AlaskaAir & @VirginAmerica merger? Fab! Thanks, mega-awesome #SocMed team. So far, so pheeeew! #CreatureofHabit #Loyal 3 days ago
- Check out our quick wrap on #SXSW! via @modsquad: modsquad.com/blog/thats-a-w… #SXSWInteractive #Austin #Texas #StillHaveMeatSweats #Kidding #Ish 3 days ago
- @VirginAmerica Good to know. Nervous to invest more time/$$ in something that will ult. change my great experience. Keep info flowing! TY! 3 days ago
- Nervous! Hey @VirginAmerica, what does this mean for those of us with “Silver" status? Will that title continue? gizmodo.com/say-goodbye-to… 3 days ago