FYI: Tween Cybersafety and John Walsh
Online Tween Safety: LIVE WEBCAST WITH JOHN WALSH
I want to share with you a great opportunity we all should take part in which involves new tips that will keep our tweens and teens safe online.
I am posting today on behalf of Cox Communications in partnership with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. Millions of tweens and teens surf the Internet every day, and they often know more about the Web than their parents, guardians and even teachers. Unfortunately, the ease and convenience of using the Internet as a primary form of communication is offset by its potential dangers.
Popular social networking sites are making tweens and teens more susceptible to online predators, who often pose as their peers. More than one in five tweens and teens post information about themselves online, including pictures, the city they live in and how old they are. These sites allow kids to interact with other like-minded people, express their thoughts and feelings, and create their own profiles. The majority of young people online don’t think there are any dangers in sharing personal data, which can include anything from their address and age to their cell phone number and photographs, despite growing evidence that this easily accessible information may make it easier for online predators to search and contact unsuspecting tweens and teens. With all of these potential risks, teenagers and their parents and guardians need to be more aware of what personal information is posted and who they are chatting with online.
John Walsh, children’s advocate and host of America’s Most Wanted, will discuss what parents and guardians can do to help protect and educate their children about the potential dangers of online predators and offer tips for safer surfing in an exclusive upcoming LIVE webcast on July 23rd at 1pm EST. This opportunity will allow online viewers to submit their questions live via email and potentially have them answered by John Walsh as the questions come in!
Space is very limited, so I suggest you secure your spot by registering for the webcast today: http://www.visualwebcaster.com/event.asp?id=49596®d=n
Heads up, folks. Hope you enjoy.
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @jtoddcoleman @icanhelpline @rollinbishop #privacy #dataprotection 27 minutes ago
- Sun is out in LA and I’m sporting my #Ilvermorny alumni sweatshirt. Let’s do this Wednesday! 27 minutes ago
- RT @cultureodignity: Love that @Teenvogue has become a voice for young women! ow.ly/MX3d309eit3 @TheDailyShow interview with @ElaineW… 17 hours ago
- RT @illywhacker1: Here's the link to today's parent presentation on eSafety bit.ly/2lF9Gmy #edchat #digitalkids https://t.co/PjIJT… 18 hours ago
- RT @ThatsWightman: Hey Instagramers c/o @ChildrensComm report #GrowingUpDigital w @instagram TOS in plain/kid lang childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/sites/default/…… 18 hours ago