Behavior Tracking Online
Interesting developments at the Senate Commerce Committee hearings on behavioural profiling yesterday, as US Senators discussed the privacy implications of targeted web advertising, data-mining and the massive amounts of data collection the private sector engages in online. As Ira Teinowitz writes in today’s AdAge, senators are somewhat split about whether the practices “go too far”, i.e. do they infringe on individuals’ Constitutional and civic rights, and/or warrant new privacy laws. However, from what I’ve read, there also seems to be somewhat of a consensus that behavioural profiling raises legitimate questions about “who watches us and how that information gets used.” With exceptions, of course…such as former marketing executive Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.). According to Wendy Davis at MediaPost, DeMint called the prospect of new privacy laws “a solution in search of a problem.
I highly suggest popping up to Sara Grimes’ site (link above) and taking a look at that coverage. I’m holding my cards a bit longer before I express my views – simply because I have pros/cons on both sides and not really the best amount of time/brain-space to get it the proper ramble it deserves.
Happy weekend, everyone. 🙂
p.s. I started a post on “motivation” today – regarding why/how people judge & play virtual worlds/mmos/etc, but didn’t have the time to get into the meet of it. Hopefully by Monday?
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @KerryHerdt @thinkwithwitt @EducatingParent #cybersecurity #privacy 17 hours ago
- First experience w @AlaskaAir & @VirginAmerica merger? Fab! Thanks, mega-awesome #SocMed team. So far, so pheeeew! #CreatureofHabit #Loyal 3 days ago
- Check out our quick wrap on #SXSW! via @modsquad: modsquad.com/blog/thats-a-w… #SXSWInteractive #Austin #Texas #StillHaveMeatSweats #Kidding #Ish 3 days ago
- @VirginAmerica Good to know. Nervous to invest more time/$$ in something that will ult. change my great experience. Keep info flowing! TY! 3 days ago
- Nervous! Hey @VirginAmerica, what does this mean for those of us with “Silver" status? Will that title continue? gizmodo.com/say-goodbye-to… 3 days ago