CARU strikes again: My Most Wanted site
In its ongoing campaign to encourage sites to voluntarily comply with federal privacy law, the Children’s Advertising Review Unit (CARU) has asked the operator of yet another website aimed at kids to revise its practices and policies.
CARU reviewed the My Most Wanted site, which features updates and info on pop stars such as Miley Cyrus (who plays the wildly popular Hannah Montana character on a Disney show by the same name). Following its review, CARU asked the site operator to make a number of fixes to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), as well as CARU’s guidelines on online privacy protection, which are designed to implement COPPA.
Did you hear that? It was the sound of a cracking whip. WAAAAAAAAAACHICK.
People. Please. If you are dealing with content appropriate, desired, or geared toward ANYONE under the age of 14… PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH. Otherwise, prepare or a pricey reaction.
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @KerryHerdt @thinkwithwitt @EducatingParent #cybersecurity #privacy 17 hours ago
- First experience w @AlaskaAir & @VirginAmerica merger? Fab! Thanks, mega-awesome #SocMed team. So far, so pheeeew! #CreatureofHabit #Loyal 3 days ago
- Check out our quick wrap on #SXSW! via @modsquad: modsquad.com/blog/thats-a-w… #SXSWInteractive #Austin #Texas #StillHaveMeatSweats #Kidding #Ish 3 days ago
- @VirginAmerica Good to know. Nervous to invest more time/$$ in something that will ult. change my great experience. Keep info flowing! TY! 3 days ago
- Nervous! Hey @VirginAmerica, what does this mean for those of us with “Silver" status? Will that title continue? gizmodo.com/say-goodbye-to… 3 days ago