Virtual Worlds in the News
Disney on Monday will unveil its first line of Internet-connected toys, called Clickables. Developed in collaboration with its licensee Techno Source, the toys will be based on Disney Fairies and unlock an immersive virtual world that will be launched in the fall. Robert Marick, vp and GM at Disney Toys North America, said the technology goes beyond what’s already out in the marketplace and takes Internet-based toys to the next level. He said the technology will be applied to other Disney properties in the future.Other toy lines that hook up to Internet worlds on display at Toy Fair include Mattel’s Barbie Girls, launched in 2007; Hot Wheels, launching this year; U.B. Funkeys collectible vinyl figures; and Hasbro’s Littlest Pet Shop. Warners said Mattel would be launching Funkeys to connect with a Speed Racer virtual world. DreamWorks Animation said it is working on developing an Internet-connected toy line for “Madagascar,” and Jakks Pacific has launched a Neopets line of toys that connect to the Internet.
Side thought: Why hasn’t Viacom spoken up about any of their future projects???? Neopets is getting a new level of product-virtual-purchase… which is… nice? But that’s nothing in comparison to what everyone else is doing. I GET TO SEE FUSION FALL THIS WEEK (Thanks Cartoon Network!). Oh, man, am I pumped. And where’s Warner Bros? Why haven’t they said anything about T Works??? Hmmm.
Blogged with Flock
- RT @mental_floss: Italy Is Giving Its Young Adults Nearly $600 to Spend on Books, Film, and Music — bit.ly/2bg4VNc https://t.co/Mm… 12 hours ago
- RT @PeterWilt1: Hope Solo rips Sweden tactics: 6 month suspension & contract terminated Richard Chaplow uses antigay slurs against Robbie… 12 hours ago
- RT @JessWeiner: The hateful attacks on Leslie Jones are disgusting and a problem WE HAVE to solve - yesterday!! I 110% #StandWithLeslie. 12 hours ago
- Hope Solo needs this massive slap on hands. Lochte does too. Too soon, #DWTS. Too soon for that guy. Out of spotlight please. 12 hours ago
- One thing to be a poor sport. Another to lie to a nation repetitively& embarrass host nation. Solo gets fired, Lochte gets paid to dance? 12 hours ago