Virtual Worlds in the News
Disney on Monday will unveil its first line of Internet-connected toys, called Clickables. Developed in collaboration with its licensee Techno Source, the toys will be based on Disney Fairies and unlock an immersive virtual world that will be launched in the fall. Robert Marick, vp and GM at Disney Toys North America, said the technology goes beyond what’s already out in the marketplace and takes Internet-based toys to the next level. He said the technology will be applied to other Disney properties in the future.Other toy lines that hook up to Internet worlds on display at Toy Fair include Mattel’s Barbie Girls, launched in 2007; Hot Wheels, launching this year; U.B. Funkeys collectible vinyl figures; and Hasbro’s Littlest Pet Shop. Warners said Mattel would be launching Funkeys to connect with a Speed Racer virtual world. DreamWorks Animation said it is working on developing an Internet-connected toy line for “Madagascar,” and Jakks Pacific has launched a Neopets line of toys that connect to the Internet.
Side thought: Why hasn’t Viacom spoken up about any of their future projects???? Neopets is getting a new level of product-virtual-purchase… which is… nice? But that’s nothing in comparison to what everyone else is doing. I GET TO SEE FUSION FALL THIS WEEK (Thanks Cartoon Network!). Oh, man, am I pumped. And where’s Warner Bros? Why haven’t they said anything about T Works??? Hmmm.
Blogged with Flock
- @ZacharyFettig and I hope you had a fruity drinkie-poo of the frozen and boozy variety ;) 13 hours ago
- @ZacharyFettig those girls are THE most adorable!! ❤️ 13 hours ago
- @rob_davis999 and that's why you're amazing, Rob!! ;) jealous!! 13 hours ago
- @ZacharyFettig YESSSSS! Give those two nuggets a hug & zerbert for me. AND HAVE A BLAST! 14 hours ago
- For my friends going to #ComicCon2015 - apparently someone makes these & leaves them for people to find: imgur.com/a/5JD4f SO CUTE! 14 hours ago