Perspectives on Parents & The Quick Glance at their Kids Online Life
Overprotective parenting and bullying: Who is to blame for the suicide of Megan Meier?
Many people have asked me why I have not addressed the Megan Meier story that broke over the last month. I admit that I’ve been extremely bothered by the stories and the implications of an adult bullying a child through mediating technology. That said, I suspected that the press wasn’t telling the full story. Like all coverage of horrible events, the press focused on what made the story juicy rather than trying to paint a complicated picture of what led to the event.
Originally found at:
YPulse: Overprotective parenting and bullying…
Okay, so I won’t go into too much about MY thoughts with this– why? Teens & myspace/facebook aren’t my specialty. I’ve followed the news tracks and I play in those playgrounds myself… but there are others much more qualified to speak about this than myself.
I point you to both of these blogs because there are great points made– and if you haven’t taken the time to read Danah’s thoughts on Ypulse, I encourage you too. Also, read the comments on Danah’s blog– the responses are well written and very articulate.
Update: I read this “Lori” woman’s blog, and then EVERY comment following her admission and I’m absolutely baffled at the level of cruelty & continuing nature of bullying brought about by bullying. It’s like a freakin’ mob FEAST. The same people coming back to verbally “beat the sense” into this woman. The whole situation is disgusting and sad, but on TOP of that to have it continue on the web? I feel dark now for reading it all. Dirty. Blogs are a great thing, but they also can bring about the worst in human behavior- like the need to beat a topic to a bloody pulp… trying to force opinions and brow beat understanding– and then the follow up retaliations and the peanut gallery. At the point it’s reached– nothing good can come out of it… it’s just a witch hunt on all sides. There’s no healing when the wound is picked at… Sad for all 😦
Blogged with Flock
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @scmills100 @glassbottommeg @orenjacob #privacy #somethingonastickday 2 hours ago
- This little girl is my kindred spirit: youtube.com/watch?v=h1E-Fl… 20 hours ago
- Mod of the Month – March 2017 via @modsquad. modsquad.com/blog/mod-of-th… 20 hours ago
- RT @annecollier: GREAT 2 c student voice & agency here--SO impt. Think a lot of educators would also want 2 c Civic Engagement here https:/… 1 day ago
- RT @thinkwithwitt: #MondayMotivation: Here’s a pile of books that can serve as inspiration -- or at least keep #kids occupied https://t.co/… 1 day ago