Disney Adds Another: "Cars” Virtual World
PaidContent.org has notes on Bob Iger’s keynote at the Sanford C. Bernstein Media Symposium today. On virtual worlds, Iger noted that the company would release a “Cars” virtual world next year that would cost millions--not hundreds of millions–to develop because it’s built on an existing infrastructure. That should help it become profitable “fairly soon after launch because the investment isn’t tremendous.” Club Penguin is already turning a profit after its $350M-$750M purchase: “We’re growing subscribers nicely since the acquisition and we haven’t even begun to market it aggressively.” Disney’s site says a replay of the webcast should be available here, but it’s not up yet. [via PaidContent.org]
…interesting…ish. And yet… kinda “Meh”. I’m REALLY pumped about another VW they’re (Disney) coming out with (but hush hush about) because of the current craze around the unnamed (yet popular) brand. And their “Pirates” world was a no brainer. But Cars!? Again: Meh. It was my least favorite of the Pixar/Disney set, and a total rip off of Doc Hollywood (as well as other similar movies, but Michael J Fox gets this credit this round).
I realize they’re trying to fill a gap in their “boy” centric quota. But ‘Cars‘? The property is 2 years old… unless they plan on taking another stereotypical script and making Cars 2. Even then… meh.
I guess, if Disney wants to flood their market, go for it. I just think there are other Disney brands that could fill the space a hair better. Ah well. Who knows– they could blow this one out of the water and I’ll eat my own words with a bowl of Brussels sprouts (ooo I hate those things).
Apparently they “ARE” (okay, I’m speaking in many-voiced rumors here) making a Cars 2 movie… its release date is somewhere around the 2010 mark (again, rumor mode people). I should have figured, since Disney LOVES their sequels. (How did the world not end when they released Cinderella 2??? Although, Aladdin 3 was kinda great, and I dug the music for Toy Story 2.)
Blogged with Flock
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @jtoddcoleman @icanhelpline @rollinbishop #privacy #dataprotection 25 minutes ago
- Sun is out in LA and I’m sporting my #Ilvermorny alumni sweatshirt. Let’s do this Wednesday! 25 minutes ago
- RT @cultureodignity: Love that @Teenvogue has become a voice for young women! ow.ly/MX3d309eit3 @TheDailyShow interview with @ElaineW… 17 hours ago
- RT @illywhacker1: Here's the link to today's parent presentation on eSafety bit.ly/2lF9Gmy #edchat #digitalkids https://t.co/PjIJT… 18 hours ago
- RT @ThatsWightman: Hey Instagramers c/o @ChildrensComm report #GrowingUpDigital w @instagram TOS in plain/kid lang childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/sites/default/…… 18 hours ago