Panwapa: Sesame Workshop takes on the WORLD
Sesame Street’s parent company Sesame Workshop has launched its newest initiative for 4- to 7-year olds: Panwapa. The project aims to foster the foundation of global citizenship and community participation, and consists of a DVD, print materials, and an incredibly complex interactive website akin to social networking in a completely safe and anonymous environment for young users.All materials are available in five languages (English, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, and Japanese) and feature an entirely new crop of Muppets, including Azibo the Monster (you know, like Elmo, but green), KoKo, a cute penguin, and Athina the smart and culturally savvy Owl.
Although the filmed aspects of Panwapa — which means “here on this earth” in Tshiluba, a Bantu language spoken in the Democratic Republic of Congo — are colorful, funny, and superbly produced, the really exciting and most central aspect of this project is the website’s social networking and community interactivity.
How does it work?
(….Click the link below to continue reading this great review…)
Thanks, Ashley from Children’s Media Consultant for a rockin’ review. I played with the site about two weeks ago and thought it was a great initiative– safe, challenging, cute. It had some bugs, as most beta sites do, but over all it should be an interesting adventure. Totally reminded me of “Its a Small World” ride at Disney World. Seriously.
But I dig that you can make your home be a tree house or an apartment, and that you can choose traditional clothing or a lizard suit (I love the lizard suit). They’ll have a LOT of room to do some interesting educational support with that site (of anyone to work with the MacArthur Foundation, I certainly hope it’s Panwapa & Sesame).
Here’s my avatars (if you hadn’t already spotted them in my avatar page):
Blogged with Flock
- RT @TheCLAlliance: 'The real issue is not social media but learning.' What Schools are Really Blocking When They Block #SocialMedia https:/… 16 hours ago
- RT @modsquad: For folks in community and customer service, hearing this makes any day better: You made my day! #MakeTodayBetterIn4Words [AR… 18 hours ago
- <3 | Her “Midnight Ride”: I’m Pissed I Never Learned About 16-Year-Old American Hero Sybil Ludington via @womenysk womenyoushouldknow.net/her-midnight-r… 18 hours ago
- RT @TonyRomm: Wow, fmr FTC Commish Julie Brill joining Microsoft as corporate vice president and deputy general counsel for privacy and reg… 20 hours ago
- RT @modsquad: For anyone working in the 24/7/365 space: “The coffee is ready” #MakeTodayBetterIn4Words https://t.co/lIqesMljfX 21 hours ago