Kids, Coppa, and Communities
I get asked a lot in media interviews about how safe certain sites are for kids and tweens (under 13). What I say is that while no site is 100 percent “safe,” in that an adult could possibly sneak on posing as a child or that your child might be bullied in an online community. But I definitely think sites that are expressly for kids under 13 are going to do everything they can to protect the kids on their services. Why? Because if kids under 13 are their primary audience, they have to get permission from parents for them to collect personal information when they register (it’s the law), and because if something happens to a child on their site, it could destroy their business. Most of these sites restrict what kids can say to each other in text chats and have active community managers engaged on the site for kids to turn to if something doesn’t feel kosher.That said, I’m not saying the owners and operators of sites for teens 13 and up (where teens are their primary audience) aren’t doing what they can to make their sites safe. But it’s easier to put a lot more disclaimers out there when you have a site where 14 year olds can interact with 25 year olds on the same service. And, when you have millions of users like MySpace or Facebook uploading thousands of photos and videos or posting blog entries every hour of every day, you just can’t screen it all.
- RT @cultureodignity: Love that @Teenvogue has become a voice for young women! ow.ly/MX3d309eit3 @TheDailyShow interview with @ElaineW… 4 hours ago
- RT @illywhacker1: Here's the link to today's parent presentation on eSafety bit.ly/2lF9Gmy #edchat #digitalkids https://t.co/PjIJT… 5 hours ago
- RT @ThatsWightman: Hey Instagramers c/o @ChildrensComm report #GrowingUpDigital w @instagram TOS in plain/kid lang childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/sites/default/…… 5 hours ago
- RT @icanhelp: Educator, admin and counselor friends- if you need help with social media, this is your helpline! twitter.com/icanhelpline/s… 8 hours ago
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @MakeAWish @LSEmediapolicy @EUKIDSONLINE #privacy #mwc17 11 hours ago