Gross: 80 Kids Plan Brawl Online
First: Thanks for posting this, Jace (you rock).
Secondly: WHAT THE HECK? Dear Great Godzilla (<- story for another time)!!!
Of all people, I am not as naive to think this doesn’t happen daily. I know there are stories about cyberbullying nearly every hour it seems. But EIGHTY CHILDREN?! Some as young as ELEVEN?!
Things to point out (aka, initial reactions):
1. How… HOW… is it that 80 children– averging two parents each… were involved? Where were the parents during this whole time? EIGHTY CHILDREN– that’s not like five angry kids… This wasn’t some “backyard gang” of morally corrupt tater tots– but enough children to house FOUR CLASSROOMS OF CHILDREN. This was an army of kids.
2. Another notch on my anti-cell-phone-youth stick. No one should allow their child to have a phone unless they understand EXACTLY what that means– RESPONSIBLITY. Can your child handle the responsiblity? Can they handle the rules? Can they use it appropriately?
The fact that these tater tots had the ability to orchestrate such a riot… and that it wasn’t just hidden in their social networking activities– but CELL PHONES AND EMAILS. What do parents do now? Are they walking ATM machines that just provide social luxuries to their deliquent & confused & morally corrupt minors?
Yet another need for parents to have some sort of “Parental Must Read” hand out regarding their child’s use of social technology– help them see the light and understand what is at stake.
3. AN 11-YEAR-OLD ON BEBO IS ILLEGAL. Pure and simple. When are social networking sites going to get punished for breaking the law? SERIOUSLY?! There are MANY social networking sites out there that just turn a “blind eye” to their users who are under the COPPA U13 legislation.
4. Quite possibly the scariest thing of all time would be the vision of our future– our children– our YOUTH… walking down the street “carrying metal bars, wood, baseball bats and bicycle chains to use as weapons” to meet at a baseball field (a place of fun and entertainment) to beat the CRAP out of each other. It just turns my stomach. Shame on those children, shame on their parents.
- The latest The Izzy Neis Daily! paper.li/izzyneis?editi… Thanks to @chicagoredstars @clubpenguin @rollinbishop #fintech #ai 3 hours ago
- RT @gamespot: We have 80,000 PS4 closed beta keys for @MarvelHeroes Omega to #giveaway! (North America only) Enter here: https://t.co/e9CC… 1 day ago
- RT @TheCLAlliance: 'The real issue is not social media but learning.' What Schools are Really Blocking When They Block #SocialMedia https:/… 1 day ago
- RT @modsquad: For folks in community and customer service, hearing this makes any day better: You made my day! #MakeTodayBetterIn4Words [AR… 2 days ago
- <3 | Her “Midnight Ride”: I’m Pissed I Never Learned About 16-Year-Old American Hero Sybil Ludington via @womenysk womenyoushouldknow.net/her-midnight-r… 2 days ago